Re: LSR HISTORY

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, <RTMACK@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: LSR HISTORY
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 07:52:51 -0600
Hey Larry ...  all seriousness aside...

Seagraves was in fact the fastest man alive at one point...  But there are
many others that have gone past 200mph and set records outside the Salt
Flats...

It's also my understanding that the club isn't affiliated with the SCTA or
USFRA... it's just something that some publicity folks put together to
acknowledge the accomplishments of racers at Bonneville....  Over the years
it's changed and like you I've heard several stories about the Politics'
associated with some of the less appreciated changes.... some made JUST to
put this person or that in the Club.  I think there are some other stories
out there about Folks NOT getting into the club for one reason or another
who are truly deserving.

In recent years the Minimums have been a real source of contention... it's
like the folks got into the club and pulled the welcome matt up behind
them...   BUT Tom Bryant spent some time educating me as well as Larry Volk
on Why they were required as a result of blending records and after I got
the whole Picture from them I was much more comfortable with the question
of Minimums....

Just like the SCTA I think they try and do the best they can with the
volunteers they have available.... no one is getting rich doing this....
the Club is there as a goal for those of us that chose to try for it....
but I don't think it's a mandatory part of gaining the respect of your
peers.... Guys like Bob and Kurt Giavoni (sp) who run vintage 4's may never
get there but... they damn sure have my respect.  Or like your Goal of
having the Fastest Sunbeam on the Planet EVER... that's cool stuff.

Keith ( course it's going to be my luck that Kurt or Bob are both in the
Club )( and why can't you guys have names I can spell.... ya know Like
Bubba..or. Boo Droo?)