2 club

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: 2 club
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (pork.pie)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 22:16:00 +0100
Hi Ugo,

great to see your writing now this way, not only the direct way or hear from
you
at phone.

To Kitty (Hambleton) O'Neil, a agree that she was very brave, and shows Hal
Needham the way. Also, I have to say that she is a great person, I got the luck
to meet her 20 years ago, when she was in Germany on the CMT show in Stuttgart.
The SMI Motivator was on display (owned by Nina Rindt - still to today).
It was hard to talk to her, because due to this, that she is deaf, she is doing
lip reading - but she speaks fantastic, incredible for a deaf person.

Not only that she done the run with the SMI, she also holds a water ski speed
record (nearly 105 mph), a water speed record (275.19 mph in 1977 with "Captian
Crazy"), a high jump record into a air cushion (from 105 yards out of a
helicopter) and a accelaration record with a rocket car (was over 300 in the
quarter).

What the problem is, is this record which she done on the Alvord Dry Lake in
Oregon on the 6. Dec 1976. She reached a fastest average (one way of 617.868
mph
and a two way average of 512.706 mph).

Hal Needham used and bend the car a year later at the Mud Lake, Tonopah, Nevada,
for Hal is a one way speed of 619.99 mph from the 13 July known, behind this
speed stand a lot of question marks - one comment is know - this speed number
was there, to give him his male "vain" back.

To Kitty's speed - this speed was listed for a while on a unofficial, not
certified record list of the FIA.
As I wrote before - it is not known and not for sure that this "record" was done
in a 1 hour. What's well known is, is the 617 speed. For this speed exist a
paper. For the 512 speed is a note that this speed was recognized by the FIM,
but I never so a list with this record on - and when, in which categorie?
Craig's Three Wheeler record from 1964 is some miles higher. Did the FIM a
split
in Rocket and Jets?

Also there are some more woman, who runs fast before.

There was Paula Murhy, she runs in 1964 Walt Arfon's Avenger with 226 mph.
A year later Betty Skelton used Art Arfons Super Cyclops - this car crashed
later in Texas on a drag strip with Art on the wheel, a news paper reporter,
who
was sitting in the passenger seat was killed - for 277mph (with a fastest run
of
315 mph), two months later, Lee Breedlove used Craig's Spirit of America Sonic1
to reach 308.56 mph (with a fastest run of 332.26 mph).

Great speed, but bad luck to this time the records was over 400 mph (in 1964)
and 500 mph (in 1965), when Kitty runs the record was over 600 mph (Gary
Gabelich)

A other point - let me know if I'm not correct - but the first HOT RODDER'S in
the 200 Club has not to set a record over 200 mph, it was enough when they done
a one way average speed of 200+ mph.

It was some years later, that the rule change to "there has to be a record,
too".

In the other way we got some 2 Member, which never runs at Bonneville.

Ugo, Tazio runs the Twin Alfa when he went a fraction faster than the 200 mph
and brokes Hans Stuck's record with the Auto Union - Stuck was a little bit
under the 200.

So we got Caracciola/D. Campbell/Noble/A. Green as a not Bonneville racer.

Noble is not really correct - he set a British Record at Bonneville with the
Thrust II, before he went over to Black Rock, due to the problem with the rain.

In the other way we got Cobb (he was still alive when the Club was found)/ M.
Campbell/Seagrave/Keech/Nuvolari/Rosemeyer they went 200+.
Seagrave/Campbell/Rosemeyer/Keech past before the 2 Club was found. Cobb and
Nuvolari passed later.

Wow, what a confussion.

Welcome to another very interested discussion.

See ya

Pork Pie