400 mph wheeldriven lsr

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 400 mph wheeldriven lsr
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:50:11 -0500
Dave and the List
The reasons for the slow increase in the wheeldriven record are not just
technical - and I hope we get to hear from those who have gone over 400 in
modern times to discover the main difficulties.
Throughout the forties and fifties Britain and America (the main contenders
for the lsr) had other things to pre occupy themselves.  The end of WWII,
Korea and rebuilding nations.  Even though the Bonneville Speed Trials
started in '49, the aim of the contestants was then, as it mostly is now,
going fast in a range of class cars not just outright record speeds.
The start of the sixties did bring a resurgence in the wheeldriven record
that was to be short lived.  Because the jet cars soon sped onwards from
407 to 500 and then 600mph.  Around the World only the biggest number
counted in the publics mind.
Donald Campbell achieved 403 mph in a car designed for 500 but Lake Eyre in
'64  was never at its best.  Goldenrod ran 409 mph for the wheeldriven
record and sponsors and the weather stopped this car from running faster
(one way 425 mph with changed air scoops was shown to be possible) even
though it too was designed for 500mph.
We come forward to the late eighties and into the nineties and the
challenge for the wheeldriven quickest falls to salt rodders such as Al
Teague, Nolan & Rick White, Rick and Don Vesco, Bruce Crower (whatever
became of this motor car?), Chet Herbert/Clayton Steen, The Burklands, (and
others I have forgotten no doubt) who were battling the pre Save the Salt
surface as well as the Summers Brothers record speed.
Now that the surface is 'coming back' (and all involved in Save the Salt
need to be praised for this work) the speed is up to 458mph with probably
more to come if tyres can operate at the 500+mph level.
As Dave says it cannot be a lack of power problem and the aerodynamic
frontal areas are better than in '47, so it has to be drive related?
Guess which area the British team Quicksilver 500 are investing their early
design and research time in to?
Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England