FW: rail bird

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: rail bird
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 17:01:16 -0800
----------
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 08:41:36 -0800
To: Dan Warner <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: rail bird

According to Karl Young, an English professor in a class I took in college,
the term came out of horse racing in the mid 1800's.  As I remember the
original term was used for those who sat on the rail fences around the
track.

Obviously the usage continued over to motorsports after the automobile was
invented.

Wes