Re: Climate data for the future...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Climate data for the future...
From: Henry Deaton <hdeaton@verio.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 21:15:30 -0800
Hi Dr. Mayf and everybody,

This talk about weather has gotten me a little excited because I happen to
work at a place that makes weather stations. I've been meaning to ask if
the SCTA did any kind of weather monitoring at El Mirage or Bonneville, and
been thinking if nothing else I could bring one to the events and set it up
somewhere so anyone could come by and see the readings. I would have last
year if I'd ever finished my bike. The really cool thing is that after the
event I could post all the weather data on the Internet so anyone could see
how it was at any particular time during the meet. What our station records
is the temperature, barometric pressure, and relative humidity, among other
things, but from those three things you can calculate the air density.
Don't know the formula off the top of my head but we have an application
note on our website that has the info:

Go to http://www.davisnet.com and click on "Support" in the upper menu bar.

Once you're in Support, on the left side of the window find "Weather
Support", and click on it.

Click on Application Notes. It's the second application note, titled "Air
Density and Fuel/Air Ratios", appropriately enough.

A basic station that just gives you what you need is our Perception model,
and it retails for around $150. If you want data logging you'll need to get
a more expensive model, and they start at $295 for our Weather Monitor II.
Prices run from $495 to over $1000 for various models of our latest and
greatest station, the Vantage Pro. You also need our software to do the
logging and it runs another $165, but includes special hardware required to
connect the station to a computer. The hardware also logs weather data when
a computer isn't connected to the station.

We sell'em all on-line, and if you do a search on-line for our products
you'll find a few companies that discount them a little.

Now, just to be clear I do work for Davis but I think we make a great
product. We're generally regarded as being at the high-end of the
consumer-grade weather stations. Folks into weather tend to think we're
worth the extra cost over cheaper stations (Oregon Scientific, for
instance) and we cost a lot less than stations that're actually better
(Campbell Scientific, for instance), and we have a pretty good reputation
for support and service.

Feel free to email me privately if you have any questions. I'm definitely
planning on bringing a station with me this year when I race, so you'll be
able see one in action too, if you'd like.

Henry Deaton
SF, CA