Re: Tonneau Question

Subject: Re: Tonneau Question
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 09:44:04 -0500
Mayf,

I would use 3003 H14 (Half Hard) alumunium, in the .050 / .060 thichness. If you
have to do any welding or extreme shaping, stick to the .060. You can soften the
places you need to bend or shape by putting the torch to the metal...make it an
acetylene rich flame and blacken the areas you want to soften. Next, adjust the
torch to a neutral flame and burn off the black. Be carefully not to metal the
aluminuim, if will appear as a dull area. If you do melt it, throw it away, as
it
will crack later. This will make the alum very soft and pliable to shape the
edges. As you work the softened areas, the metal will work harden back to the
original half hard state. There are a number of excellent videos that show metal
fab'ing available. Personally, I think metal shaping is one of the most
rewarding
fabricating experiences I have ever had.

Happy Metal Bangin',
joe