Blue Flame

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Blue Flame
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (pork.pie)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:34:20 +0100
Hi Folks,

some information to the Blue Flame from the late Gary Gabelich.

I live only 20 miles away from the museum in Sinsheim, so I was there from the
beginning.
The story how the car comes to this place, I got partly from Pete Farnsworth.

After the successful attempt and a tour, the car was given to the CEO of the
Gas
company, which was the (main) sponsor of the car - there comes the name Blue
Flame.

The CEO was from Netherland, later he moved back to Europe (when he moved he
took the car to Netherland), once - this was to the end of the 70's, he broke,
means he was running out of money. So he offered the car for sale - bad luck I
got this information 3 days to late. The car was sold to the museum owner.

I heard the rumor that the car was sold for $10 000, later Pete Farnsworth
confirmed this prize - how much you pay for a good lakester?

However, the guy done a big deal.

He start the Museum, building the show in the museum around the Blue Flame -
and
this very successful.

Louise, when you was there in 86 the museum was very small, today it's 5 times
the size. As a example, there is a Tupolev (the Russian answer to the Concorde)
now on display, and she looks very small in this big area.

I got with the owner long time a fight - because he wrote on a board, that
Richard Noble never set a new record in the C-Class in 1983, due to this, that
the FIA never certified the 83 run, and the Blue Flame is still the fastest car
on earth.
Bad luck for this guy, that I saw the certification from the FIA in Richards
lounge room in London.
At last I called from the museum, with the owner by my side, Richard in England
- wow,did this guy change his color in the face.

When I wrote, the owner done a good deal, there is something to explain.

Sometimes the car is borrowed to Car Shows, and you have to pay for each day
around $30 000 + insurance for the transportation and the display time + the
transportation himself. Good pay day.

He told me this, when I request this, taking the contact for the World of Speed
Show in England. (Around 10 corners) I was request to find out which record
breaker are in Germany and who are the contact person.  At last the Earl of
March got the Golden Rod, the Blue Bird CN7, Thrust II and SSC there.

Anyway, who ever got a chance to see the museum in Sinsheim, it's great show.
only 15 miles (east) away is the motorcycle museum in Neckarsulm - this is the
biggest motorcycle museum in the world. 25 miles west is Hockeheim, with also
some record breaker - the NSU Doplhin (1956), and the NSU car record car (1965).
60 miles south is Stuttgart with the big Mercedes Museum - Blitzen Benz
Replica,
W125R from Carraciola, the never used T80 and some other record breaker.

See ya

Pork Pie