Fuel Return

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Return
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:09:39 -0500
Ok I have a question about fuel return lines. Most everyone knows that the
fuel return line should go almost to the bottom of the tank to prevent
aeration. The other day on another list someone stated another reason for
it. If the fuel is allowed to return into the vapor space of the fuel cell
it can cause an explosion, due to static build up. Now I know the fuel cell
should be grounded, but with all the plastic fuel cells around now all one
can do is ground the filler neck. Anyone thought about the return lines to
the fuel cell? If you used Stainless braided hose then they should be
grounded either through the electric fuel pump or by the mechanical pump
bolted to the motor. What if someone was using something other than a metal
braided hose? Me thinks it might be wise to also ground the tank fittings to
the same point as the filler neck. A little check with a multimeter would
answer it right away! Oh while I think about grounding how about a nice
ground strap from the motor to the same ground point of the ignition system.
Might eliminated some ignition woes.

Bill