Re: headers coating

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, <LGMCAFEE@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: headers coating
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:49:10 -0800
I was in the HPC facility on Friday watching some headers go through the
coating process ... inside and outside.  In order to control thermal
expansion problems you need to coat both sides and the inside needs to be
smooth.  The aluminum coating is the less expensive but the black coating
they do keeps in the range of 55% of the heat inside the tubing.  You can
handle them without waiting for them to cool off.  Makes big sense in a drag
racing engine.  Burkland is using that coating on his 8" dump tubes.  That
and the spring operated venting that opens as the air flow drops are what
allowed him to leave his electricals in place between the two engines.
Rather dramatic drop in temperature from the original set up.

Wes