Re: headers coating warranty

To: <ARDUNDOUG@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: headers coating warranty
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:50:43 -0800
Doug,

You should read your warranty.  HPC guarantees their coatings for three
years with 100% free replacement of the coating.  After that it's a 50% cost
to re-coat.  They recommend an additional top coating that protects the
aluminum for that harshest of all environments on the salt.  I've seen some
headers that were run so lean the whole thing went smoky gray.  They re-did
them at no cost.  If you have problems just call Jeff at 801-501-8315 for a
solution to your problems.

Admittedly I have an advantage being friends with Jeff and all but when I
had a coating peel on an exhaust pipe they all but took it off for me to do
it right.  Seems an oven was not heating evenly and the long piece didn't
reach the needed temperature.  The re-coated piece is still going strong
after several years.  This is on a daily driver and we do get lots of salt
on the roads in the winter.

I'm sure that Russ Meeks at Finishline would stand behind their coatings in
much the same way.  That's too competitive a business not to be very up
front with your customers.

Reminds me of the place my step-dad worked.  Pacific States Cast Iron Pipe
made big spin molded cast iron pipe with various liners and coatings to help
resist corrosion.  Cement, asphalt, epoxy whatever they could dream up for
protection  The worst environment the found was between the plant and the
main office a quarter mile away.  They would bury pipe there and dig it up
after a few years to evaluate the effectiveness of the coatings.  Normal
cast pipe would totally disappear after just a few years leaving just a
rusty depression