Re: Floor Finish

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Floor Finish
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 01:31:48 -0600
ahhh Okay Mayf.... ya don't have the option of making it smooth....
bummer.... although I bet there is a Terrazo (sp) machine out there that
could help you with this....  it basically sands the top of the concrete
smooth.... you have seen this finish in the foyer of fancy places....
usually with brass strips in it.... very pretty when done with decorative
colored concrete....

After that if your going to paint it your going to need to let it fully
cure.... which takes a minimum of 56 days total..... concrete gains most of
it's strength in the first 2 days after that it takes the rest of the time
to fully cure....  If you seal the surface prematurely it will have a
tendency to delaminate from the uncured concrete.... ( bubbles )

What the etching process these folks are talking about is muriatic acid
which basically removes the smooth cream of the concrete and takes it down
to the sand and aggregates..... again if you don't fully remove ALL traces
of the Muriatic acid it can bubble after you have painted it.

All of these paints don't like Oil or Grease.....so keep your floor really
clean before you treat it.... Prep it like you would prep a car.... with
extreame attention to detail and you will most likely get the long term
finish that you are looking for....

Keith ( basically Fake rocks are made out of lightweight Concrete... one of
my very few areas of actual knowledge )