Re: Wind Tunnel 3+

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wind Tunnel 3+
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:02:06 -0500
At 09:00 PM 3/14/02 -0500, you wrote:
>List
>
>Although most of us run on the salt at very high speeds most of us know very
>little, for a fact, about the aerodynamics of our vehicles. We guess, right?
>
>We're armatures to some (not in my eyes, we're not) without big sponsor
>budgets to pay for our passion. I know I don't have big money, but I think I'm
>to the point now of wanting to know more so I can improve my vehicles
>performance a little more. Which is why I asked about University Tunnels.
>
>I think I'm now willing to devote the time to build some scale models to test
>various types of race cars. Liners, Lakesters and Coupes (my primary
>interest), but I don't have an affordable facility.
>
>So let me pose another question: If there was an affordable tunnel within the
>LSR community would anybody be willing to make use of it? Might have to make a
>scale model of your big toy and send it off to Timbuktu UPS or FedEx or fly to
>the facility so you can modify and test,
>JB

 Anybody really handy and have facilities to set one up ?

http://www.countdowntokittyhawk.com/wind_tunnel.html

  Don,t laugh, but the windtunnel in the picture here is one of
tunnels the Wright Bros. constructed to test their wing designs
good for  25 to 35 mph

the AF museum has an even better more powerful design that the
was built.  Very streamlined and shaped for controlled
airflow,
. the more powerful model was made of laminated
wood and turned & machined for smoothness..
good for 453 MPH
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey7a.htm

  Just a thought......