Non LSR but car question on oil and fuel additives

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>,
Subject: Non LSR but car question on oil and fuel additives
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 08:16:00 -0800 (PST)
 My dad always told me that oil and fuel additives were so much snake oil and
hoopla.  I believed that for many years, until the early seventies when I
worked as a part time gopher and mechanic at a used car lot for a few months.
I learned that some of the additives really did some good.  Of course, they
wouldn't rebuild a worn out engine like the TV commercials want you to believe,
but many times they would free up stuck lifters and rings in a motor that had
not been run in a long time.  I particularly had luck with two products from
CD2, one thick one that you poured in the oil, and a thin solvent type stuff
that you added half to the fuel tank and dribbled the other half in the
carburetor while the engine was on fast idle.
This morning I started an old motor that hadn't been run in nearly thirty
years.  It fired off almost instantly (new carburetor, fuel pump, and
ignition), but of course, there was a flury of wasps nests, spiders and mouse
fur that blew out of the pipes.  It ran smoothly, but smokes quite a bit.  It's
a low mileage motor, so theres a good chance that the bores, rings, etc are in
good shape, and that the smoke is coming from either dry valve seals or stuck
rings, if not both.
Has anybody had any particular luck with oil additives or pour through the
carburetor stuff that works to loosen stuck rings on old motors?  The motor
idles quietly, so the lifters aren't stuck.  I'd like to see if this thing
would clean up if I let it run for a few minutes, but I'd like to give it the
benefit of modern medicine if there's anything out there that might work better
than old CD2 (if they even make that stuff any more).
Skip H, are any of the products you handle designed to serve this purpose?
Anybody?
Thanks
Dick J
Yahoo! Greetings - send greetings for Easter,  Passover