record rules

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: record rules
From: "Dan" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 05:35:26 -0800
When running the long course, does a speed qualify as a record at any
one of the timed distance markers? Do you have to complete a full 5 mile
run to set a record? And again on the return run, does any timed mile
qualify as a record?
*********************************

Grib,

This one I can answer pretty confidently -

To qualify for a record the quailfying speed must exceed the existing record
by .001mph over a full mile. This means that a 2 1/4 time does not enter into
the equation. On the short course the full 3rd mile must be used, on the long
course any of the full timed miles can be used.

The second part of the record is computed using the same mile, either physical
or relative, depending on conditions. What this means is; on the long course
if your fastest time is in the middle mile on the qualifing run, then the
middle mile MUST be used to figure the average to measure against the record.
You cannot use different mile speeds to average for the record.

We most commenly see the fastest times set in the last mile for the long
course. If you exceed the record in any mile, say both the middle and the last
miles on the qualifing run you may use the fastest average as your record.
This generally happens when a vehicle does not make the 3rd mile on the second
half of the record attempt. Both speeds MUST be above the record to qualify
for a record attempt.

In an open record class the fastest mile is used for the qualifying run. The
second run is averaged in the same mile.

Hope this answers but, does not cloud, your question. I will try to clear up
all responses.

Dan W