Electronic Assists (EFI,TC,DR)

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electronic Assists (EFI,TC,DR)
From: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:14:59 -0500
I, too, have been sitting quietly for a while and "out and
about".......but......

Please read it all before sending the missile!

Some might say that those who haven't yet learned how to tune a vehicle or
drive it would benefit the most from allowing subject mechanisms to run in
classes that don't permit them.

Having been bored by the automatic tuning of an EFI last summer and then
trapped because the lap-top computer wouldn't talk to it, I will struggle
with mechanical injection this year. At least if it is rich, I can lean it
with a different by-pass jet. Not as easy nor as accurate as EFI though!
And I might have to do something to it......

The data recorder gave continuously variable engine information with no
known engine setting changes. HMMMM! BTSOM

The only thing that worked in a reasonable and predictable fashion was the
"traction control".......wide open throttle and tires spinning until the
decreasing mechanical advantage of the drive train balanced the drag and
available power at the point that the torque curve fell off!! This stuff
can be calculated before you even get to the salt. Adjusting the mechanical
advantage was not an option......

The challenge of tuning the whole vehicle including the very important part
that the driver plays is, to me, far more exciting and challenging than
pushing buttons on a lap-top.

But...then....that's just me.

Skip (back in Texas from visiting friends in Pahrump (you should see Mayf's
set up!!!!!! very nice)