1 HP per Cubic Inch ? ? ?

To: RACE427@aol.com, edlutz@laverdajota.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: 1 HP per Cubic Inch ? ? ?
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:34:51 -0700 (PDT)
  RACE427@aol.com wrote: ....  Look what Duntov did with the Vette in 57, one
hp per cu. in.
with Injection. It was automotive history!!
That claim puzzled me, even back then.  The optional, high output Chrysler 300B
of  1956 was rated at 355HP at 5200 RPM with a displacement of 354 Cubic
Inches. (dual WCFB 4bbls) was always lousy in math, but I thought that was more
than one HP per cubic inch, yet the automotive press and most of the world
heralded the Chevy for achieving that a year later. Go Figure ? ? ?
(I might add that most agree, the Chrysler rating was VERY conservative. The
true output of that hemi is generally accepted to be closer to the 400 HP mark.)
Dick J
"the hemi-head"
in East Texas