Re: looking for valve

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: looking for valve
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:15:44 -0500
yeah one of the things I was told/read about, was DON'T TRY TO
HOTROD  ANYTHING THAT IS NOT UNIVERSALLY AVAILABLE. and I did anyway. on
one hand it is a real learning experience, (I think I am the only guy in
the world with knowledge of this engine running on a WOT mile), on the
other it is VERY EXPENSIVE. I have a great parts store that helps a lot,
and we have been trying to find the valves, or keepers for it, but no luck.
I kinda picked this engine first cause I had it, and second cause it does
have real potential, a SOHC, cross flow hemi head configuration, forged
crank, iron block, and the class was open.  last dyno was 152HP, and with
this better flowing head, and finally figuring the tune, I should do better
than that....I may have to machine new keepers to fit the grooves, as I
haven't found >any< keepers in a 7.2 mm size with any groove/slot
configuration. I figure Mitsubishi took off the shelf stuff for this head,
but I just haven't found them yet. which is why I asked the group, somebody
out there has seen a valve like this, and remembers where, and what it is,
(I am sure hoping). anyway , about the obsolete stuff, I think we are using
pretty modern and available stuff, its not like the guys using the Ardun
stuff, that stuff's not available for what 50 years? and only 300 made?
whew, there is stubbornness! lots of credit and kudos to them. drive careful

At 08:13 AM 4/23/02, you wrote:

>You and me, John, always trying to use something that's been obsolete and
>not available for at least a quarter of a century!  Good luck on finding
>them, but if you don't, you might think about machining new keeper
>grooves. There must be something that can be made to fit!
>
>Dick J
>

>Do You Yahoo!?
><http://rd.yahoo.com/welcome/*http://games.yahoo.com>Yahoo! Games - play
>chess, backgammon, pool and more

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316
        Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                 Bonneville Salt Flats
            H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                   131.333 MPH set 1995
                   136.666 MPH set 1996
                   140.292 MPH set 2000
                   144.396 MPH set 2000
     MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                    95.193 MPH set 2001