Re: desoto/hemi question

To: Jonathan Amo <webmaster@landracing.com>,
Subject: Re: desoto/hemi question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:40:18 -0700 (PDT)
 To the best of my knowledge, this is not the case.  The Chrysler heads will
not fit a Desoto.  The combination that made such a great "D" was the 300 cid
Chrysler Windsor Polyhead motor converted to hemi by putting a set of pistons
and 331/354 hemi heads.  The 291 Desoto was a good candidate for a "D" motor by
boring max over to achieve about 296.5 CID. The later 341 and 345 Desoto heads
will fit on the smaller Desoto providing it with bigger valves and ports.   The
converted Chrysler made more power than the Desoto though because the ports and
valves are still bigger in the Chrysler.  Don't give up though.  That little
276 Desoto will still put out some serious horses.  It's just unfortunate that
you will have to give up a handful of cubic inches.  From what I've been able
to learn, inch for inch, the Desoto will still outpower or at least match
nearly all SBC setups, until you get into the mega-buck after-market heads that
are now available for SBC, then they flow as good or better than the early
hemis. I think Tom Bryant ran one of these setups and can probably provide some
good guidance.
Hope this helps a little.  Just don't go out and buy Chrysler heads thinking
they will fit a Desoto, they won't.
Dick J
 Jonathan Amo <webmaster@landracing.com> wrote: List,

This question came to me, can anybody offer this gentlemen any answers..
If you can please reply to all so we can all benefit from the answers..

Jonathan