Hard Starting Question

To: autox list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hard Starting Question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 09:45:51 -0700 (PDT)
This is an awfully basic question, I know, but it really has me puzzled.  Last
year, my car was a real easy starter.  It usually turned over less than a full
refolution before it would fire off.  SInce then, I've had the heads ported to
allow about 20% more flow.  I've changed from a new 750 AFB to a new 800 AFB.
I've changed from stock HEI to a Mallory Unilite distributor and new Accel
coil.  The dang thing just doesn't want to start.  I had it running once, and
managed to get the timing set.  Now, I loosen the distributor and advance and
retard the timing while trying to start it and can't get a fire.  I've checked
current and have spark right down to the plugs.  I can smell gas like it's
flooded, but the plugs never get wet.  It puzzles me since I've had it running
once and it ran so good.  Now, I just can't get it to re-fire.  Everything is
wired according to the wiring diagram in the distributor box.  I'm really
getting bummed out because I don't want to tow this thing all the way from
Texas to Maxton only to not be able to get it started when I get there.
Anybody got any ideas?

Dick J