V-Rated Tire 28 x 15

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: V-Rated Tire 28 x 15
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 16:03:13 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Folks, a year or so ago Dick J of this List told us of a Firestone
Police Car tire with a big OD, 15" wheel, V-rated.

A couple weeks ago I went to purchase a pair of them both to combat
uncontrollable wheelspin in first gear on my Ardun roadster at
Maxton(that's the trouble with using a Hilborn), and to raise the gear
ratio some more, for when I get the supercharged Ardun in it.

My trusty garage said, after checking, that Firestone dropped that tire.
But, General makes one just like it, for the police car trade.  So they
obtained and installed a pair of the following for me, $125 apiece
including tax:

General XP 2000 V4

P235/70 R15 102V

Measured diameter at 36 psi, 27-3/4".

Tread width 7"

Approved(I believe) for a 6-8" rim width, fits perfectly on my 7".

General has a website, if you can get into it, I couldn't.

I was pleased with the accuracy of construction of the tire, as-mounted
on my none-too-precision wheels, the runout of both of them in both
directions was inside 1/16".

I told my garage pal to use NAPA bead sealer on the side of the rim that
has six little holes in it for the Moon disc screws, and, there was no
leakage problem at water test time.

Ardun Bill