Forwarded: Re: What kind of welder to get?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: Re: What kind of welder to get?
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 14:29:01 -0600 (MDT)
For some reason this was sent to me rather than land-speed@autox.team.net.

Welders are a frequent topic of discussion on the shop-talk@autox.team.net
list as well, it may be worth your while to subscribe or at least browse
about at http://www.team.net/archive

mjb.
----

     Subject: Re: What kind of welder to get?
     From: "Michael L Obrien" <Michael_L_Obrien@raytheon.com>
     Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:47:06 -0400

A few things you might want to consider from the experience of someone who
is definitely not a journeyman welder.  Don't buy anything but a name brand

welder. They will be there if you need a repair and it will probably last
the rest of your life. A friend ordered one from a mail order company and
it was about

2/3 the size of a quality unit. I mean the the leads and everything were
downsized. He was out about $70 by the time he returned it.  Be sure to get
one that

can use gas instead of a flux only unit. If I remember correctly you can't
weld aluminum with a flux only unit.  Unless you plan to do a lot of stuff
that is "TIG"

only, the MIG will do everything much faster and with acceptable quality. I
have heard that the migs will give some problems when welding aluminum

because the soft wire has trouble going through the long weld lead, so if
you use a mig they reccommend keeping the lead as straight as possible.

Several of the newer units have prewire connections to add a "spool gun"
for aluminum. A spool gun holds a small spool of wire that is fed directly

in the gun and cuts down on the distance between the spool and the gun
nozzle. It can be added at a later date if you need one, but its best to
buy a

machine that has the capability built in. Lincoln, Hobart, and Miller are
all quality machines. I like the Miller because it has an "infinitely"
adjustable

amp control as opposed to one that has "steps" and it has a digital readout
(some of them). I have an old (15 yrs) Miller 35 that has served me well

but doesn't have the features described. I priced a new 250X and the dealer
said he would sell one for $1,595.  By the way, the friend who sent the

cheapie back bought a Hobart and is pretty happy with it, but said if he
had it to do over he would buy the Miller.  I think Miller bought Hobart
out,

and the machines appear to be very similar now.   On the other hand if you
want precision beautiful welds.....................TIG it.