Re: Blue Diamond

To: Dave Seely <dseely@sginet.com>
Subject: Re: Blue Diamond
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 07:07:37 -0700
Dave,

Original research gave the indication that a shift from leaded to
unleaded fuels was going to be a big problem. this was because the tests
made were in the lab with engines run under severe conditions. As in
many other engineering theories, the real world has shown us a different
picture.

The conventional wisdom is that unless engines are run under consistent
high load/high rpm conditions (stationary engines, hard working trucks,
farm tractors, etc.) there isn't likely to be a noticeable change in the
engine's valve life with the unleaded fuel.

The rest of the story is that lead from the leaded fuels not only lubed
the valves which helped their life expectancy, it also created other
problems. Which included lead buildup on the valves and valve seats, the
reason for valve spring rotators, 45 degree seats and higher spring
pressures, also shorter spark plug life and other wear problems within
the engine. So likely the engine will have an improved life on unleaded
fuel.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC