RE: The East Texas Scene

To: "'Dick J'" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, landspeedracer
Subject: RE: The East Texas Scene
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:36:16 -0500
Dick;

Regarding your plans to drive up to Alaska---- my wife & I were in Anchorage
on Sept 11 of last year and couldn't fly back to Tucson as we had planned on
the 12th. The only planes in the air were F-15s and we were glad to see
those up there!

After 3 days of cancelled flights, Alaska Airlines finally said that
everything was going to be shut down for the next week so we started looking
at our alternatives. We stumbled onto a deal from Hertz for a 9- passenger
van with no drop charge, so we grabbed it and, with my wifes's sister and
her husband along, drove from Anchorage to Seattle-- 2400 miles-- down the
Alaska Highway.

That is a spectacular drive! Beautiful scenery (snow- capped mountains,
glaciers, lakes, colorful autumn leaves mixed with evergreens) and wildlife
( three caribou, two moose, three mountain goats, 1 bear) all along the
drive through Alaska, the Yukon Territory, and British Columbia.

Most people seem to think that the Alaska Highway is a terrible gravel road
and maybe it was back in the "olden days" but it's now a nice two- lane
blacktop road with almost no traffic at all. One suggestion (a strong one)
is to pick up the latest copy of a magazine called "Signposts"; it has the
info that you will need-- maps and the locations of gas stations, motels,
and restaurants. Knowing how far it is to the next gas station is important
in the wilderness!

I had always wanted to drive the "Al- Can Highway" but I hadn't planned to
do it just then. In retrospect, it was a terrific experience and I'd
recommend that drive to anyone who has never done it.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ