Re: Air Scoop

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Subject: Re: Air Scoop
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 05:00:18 -0400
i think if I were you I would make some absolute measurements vs relative ones.
You can use a GM 2 bar map sensor to do this easily. I am not so sure personally
that i would want as much pressure in the front of the scoop as i have in the
front of the grill shell in the first place as you will also have as much drag
as the front of the grill shell and i am sure adding drag is not what you are
looking for. I would get the reading in absolute units with the car standing
still and then compare these to what they are at speed. I think that would be a
better indicator as to the relative effectiveness of the scoop more than the
pressure relative to the grill shell.
Dave

"Thomas E. Bryant" wrote:

,snip>

> At the World Finals 2001, I made my first runs with data acquisition on
> board. I can tell you that this was a great improvement from "seat of
> the pants" info. This is when I realized that the scoop was not all it
> could be. I have spoken of negative readings in the scoop (-9.7 inches
> of water with this scoop above 6000 RPMs ) I need to explain what this
> really means. The RacePak system measures scoop pressure by using a
> reference tube out the nose of the car to measure pressure against the
> vehicle. There is another pressure pickup inside the scoop (mine is
> mounted in the rear of the scoop between and about an inch below the top
> of the rear stacks) this reads the pressure and compares it to the
> reference pressure. A negative pressure does not mean that there is not
> pressure in the scoop, ( if there was 1 psi (27.68") on the front of the
> car -9.7" in the scoop would be 0.64 psi (17.98)),  it just means it is
> not as much as the pressure on the front of the car.

,snip>