a riddle

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: a riddle
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:11:53 -0500
so now I got a real puzzle for you,

here goes.

what sounds like this when starting?

beeb,,,,,,,,,,,,,beeb,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,beeb,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,beeb

ok, now what sounds like this when running?

beeb,,,,,,,,beeb,,,,,,,beeb,,,,,,,beeb

ok what sounds like this when running fast?

beeb,,beeb,,beeb,,beeb

ok now when running really fast?

bebebebbeebbbeebbeebbeeebbbeeb

have you got any idea at all?

guess what?

its' the BSA.

when you push the horn button, the spark plug sparks.

no shit.

really...

         a couple of guys were over last night trying to help me figure out
why the BSA Victor won't start since being back from SpeedWeek. at one
point we had the plug laying on the head, and being not sure the Bat.
switch was on, I pushed the horn button, and the plug sparked. I did this
again. it was repeatable.
         I have a ground fault problem. I think the salt has gotten between
the engine and the frame causing the fault troubles, I'm gonna run a NEW
wiring harness, with NEW wires, and fewer connectors, and attach real
ground straps between the engine, battery and frame.  also gonna get some
electrical goo that seals the connections and makes contacts work better.
  it was several long days trying to figure this one out.......but I
learned something new.....

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316
       Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                  Bonneville Salt Flats
           H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                  131.333 MPH set 1995
                  136.666 MPH set 1996
                  140.292 MPH set 2000
                  144.396 MPH set 2000
       MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                     95.193 MPH set 2001