Chassis Structure

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chassis Structure
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:05:53 -0400
Mayf, Jim and list

Whilst I have considered composite chassis construction - it suits a
vehicle capable of running pavement surfaces and track lengths we have in
Europe.... I would be concerned about using composites where there maybe
multiple impacts and long duration accidents, unless such 'failure' could
be analysed.  I agree that in circuit racing they test chassis sides, roll
over protection and nose boxes in the finished construction at full size,
but these replicate I believe just hitting the wall/fence once and stopping
or being hit once by another car.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.