Alex Xydias

To: bk185@lafn.org (marco), bjgayle@aol.com, clemtebow@jps.net,
Subject: Alex Xydias
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 10:29:12 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Folks, wanted to tell you that when I got back from my CA trip
recently I was very surprised, and pleased, to have a friendly message
on my phone answering machine from Alex, who wanted to tell me that he
enjoyed an article in BRN about Ardun-building, and that the blown Ardun
he built for his '34 Ford Coupe back in '54 was "my favorite engine".

Most of you on this List know that Alex is one of the Greats of the
American Hot Rod and Bonneville movement, famous for many years as a
racer, and proprietor of the So Cal Speed Shop.

As someone with a name nobody can ever pronounce or spell myself, I was
also pleased to learn at last how Alex pronounces his own.  For fifty
years I had been pronouncing it wrong.  There may be a few on this List
that know him, and the right way, but just for the record, here it is,
phonetically:

"ix-id-ee-us" with the accent on the "id".

Not so hard, is it?  All these years I had assumed it was "zi-dee-us",
after "Xerxes", but no.

Ardun Bill