Re: Blue Tennis Balls

To: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Blue Tennis Balls
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:02:16 -0700
Are we having fun yet? Don't understand you #1 comment. When I said what I
said we were talking about cutting out the shape of a car and determining
the CP from that some how. I said that airplane desginers do not use this
method of determining CP. Nor does anyone else that I know of. I did manage
to find some model rocket designs that could determine CP mathematically
from the body shapes and dimensions. But even that is fairly complex. Shoot
me an email if you want it. As to the link. Nope. After I upgraded my
shockwave and downloaded the "movie" it talks about stability in flight.
Remember that aircraft have lots of moveable surfaces for control. As to the
stability part, yaw stability is from the rudder and the free air moving it
around. Ditto for the horizontal stabilizer and wings and thrust angle of
the motor.
Don't know why you would just use side shape. For instance take a roadster
that tapers from front to back, getting wider as it goes rearward (in plan).
Plus any fenders on the back. Those are huge air impingement areas that have
to be considered for CP determination. The idea was that a windshield in the
profile view has only limited paper effect but huge effect on center of
pressure. In fact it will probably make my little car really fun to drive
and so I will have to entertain adding a big NASCAR type spoiler on the back
(cept it has to conform to the rule book).
Pig headed, yeeaaahhh <big grin, spoken in best valley girl speak>, but that
why progress occurs...somebody gets an idea and decides to make it work.

mayf