Suspension question

To: autox list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suspension question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:38:03 -0700 (PDT)
Once again, I seek the assistance of the body of knowledge contained
in this list.  I am building a 2000 pound Coupe using a fiberglass
body on a 1972 Datsun pickup frame.  This is a neat little frame with
adjustable torsion bar front independent suspension, and semi-eleptic
leaf springs on the back (holding up a 9" Ford rear end).  I removed
the two heavy duty load leaves from each spring, and installed the
basic three leaf bundle on each side.  The weight of the car brought
everything down about two inches. Not very much!  I'd like to get it
lower, but at the same time, I'd like to move the rear axle back a
little from where it is.  What will happen to my suspension and
general handling if I just slide the axle back about six inches on the
leaf springs and clamp it in place there?  I know a lot of leaf spring
setups have much more spring aft of the axle than in front of it.
What's going to happen if I turn this geometry around? It won't be
radical.  If I moved it back, the axle would be about two inches rear
of the center of the spring.  I'd install one short "fake leaf" with a
hole to center on the bolt that's in the current spring bundle, and a
short stud to center and fix the spring perch in place where the new U
bolts will clamp down.  Pinion angle has not been set yet, and would
be set after everything is in place.  Am I going to end up with some
sort of wierd handling problem if I do this?  I don't have any room to
move the entire spring backwards.  The rear shackle is at the very
back edge of the body now. I don't want to cut the frame at all.

Dick J