Re: Electrical Help

To: wmtsmith@landracing.com
Subject: Re: Electrical Help
From: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:43:54 -0700
Bill,
First wire color.

Black is a hot wire - always. Black to ground = 120 VAC
Red is the second hot wire in 240 VAC wiring. Red to ground also = 120 VAC,
Red to Black = 240 VAC
Some 240 equipment use 4 wires. Black, Red, White (return or common)
and Green (Earth ground - water pipe, copper stake in ground or rebar in a slab)
You need at least three. Two hot and one earth ground (green).

Soo..
Wrap red duct tape around the incoming white wire and just hook red to red
and black to black - sort of.

A) The best way. Buy a two pole pressure switch.
Incoming red and black to pressure switch pole one and two then
red and black from the switch to red and black on the motor.
Green to the motor frame or metal the motor is solidly bolted to.

B)
If the pressure switch is a single pole unit and will handle the current---
-->> THIS IS NOT THE SAFEST WAY TO DO IT. I RECOMMEND BUYING A DUAL
POLE/CONTACT PRESSURE SWITCH FOR SAFETY'S SAKE.
Incoming red to motor red.
Incoming black to pressure switch then a BLACK wire from the other side of
the pressure switch to the black motor wire.

Rotation may be controlled by wiring under the cover in the motor.
Not all motors have this option.

I hope this helps and be careful,
Bryan

wmtsmith@landracing.com wrote:

> I am rebuilding an air compressor for my grage shop. I had to buy a new
>motor--single phase 220v.
>
> I need std. rotation ie. counter clockwise.
>
> How do I  wire the pressure switch in? Also how to pair the big yellow and
>blue with the

small red and black with my white and black incoming 220v. thanks in advance
wmts