Re: Bert Munroe.

To: Nt788@aol.com, lsr350@hotmail.com, speedtimer@charter.net,
Subject: Re: Bert Munroe.
From: Chris Harris <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:12:27 +1200
> I admired Burt Munroe also, I met him in 1969. I remember him picking up a
> girls hair and saying "which way's the wind blowing mum." Jack

One of the countless stories about Bert was calling in to Edwards on his way
home from Bonneville in his $90 Pontiac wagon. He simply waved back to all
the friendly uniforms attempting to wave him done and proceded towards the
vast runway. When he was finally stopped by vehicles and MP's jumping all
over him and asked what he was doing. Bert said he wanted to see the X15.
Fortunately one of the brass recognised the scooter and said "your Bert
Munroe, we've read all about you in the Popular Mechanics, your amazing". He
was given the full tour of the world's fastest aircraft befitting such a
speed freak

Naturally Bert has been my inspiration to LSR, but unfortunately I never met
the gentleman.