1953-1963 F-100 Ford Brake drum Question

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, av8ford@sonic.net
Subject: 1953-1963 F-100 Ford Brake drum Question
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:20:19 +0000
F-100 Brakes
Hi all

I wonder if there's anyone out there who may be able to help me solve my
problem.

I've a set of 1950's F-100 Ford truck front brakes on Boogie woogie, M' HOT
ROD and am trying hard to cure a serious bounce problem at Interstate speeds
with it that just will not go away.  %$#@!*&!

I now have every reason to believe that the old ( but re-turned and trued
25,000 ago) brake drums are the culprit.

Why ?  because the car has had 3 different sets of front tires, and
probably 6 or 7 balance jobs with pretty much the same results; a
bounce at around 68 to 74 MPH.  In fact, the last balance was ON the
car, using an old HUNTER wheel balancer from the 60s ( 'member them
?)which balances everything that spins, and s all at once.  Even that,
while making the problem lessen, did not make it go away.  It did
change its speed range somewhat from what it was.  But the bounce has
always varied to some degree or other; -depending on tire wear and
etc, etc, but that is generally the range of the bounce, 68 to 74 MPH.
Since my car, a '31 Ford Coupe, has no fenders, I can look directly
out at the problem as it occurs.  Believe me, it's scary.  These
brakes, (backing plates, shoes and drums) that are in use are
allegedly 1956 vintage and are mounted on '46 to '48 Ford car spindles
on a 4 inch dropped 1932 I-beam axle set at 7 degrees caster. Also I
run PRO Shocks on the front-they surely seem to be in good condition...

Please take note that if I choose to, I can drive right through the
bounce to 80 MPH and all is well with the world.  80 & up is as smooth
as silk.  Let go of the wheel smooth.

I truly believe changing the drums will correct this #@!&##! problem.  Both
drums were recently discovered bent on a drum lathe when I took them in
to be re-trued.  They were too far out to be re-turned. but when this car
was first built they had been turned fresh, so any deviation found now has
occurred since that time.  Perhaps from the heat of use.

   But heres my major problem;  my parts catalog investigations have found
that both Wagner and Raybestos list ALL- 1953 to 1963 ( two wheel drive)
pickups as having the SAME part number front drums.

Guess what.    Not so.

Recently I obtained a nice complete pair of front spindles, backing
plates, shoes and drums removed from a 1955 F-100 junkyard dawg. they
looked fine - the same.  I had the drums turned with the intention of
installing them, and guess what ?  When I installed them, the shoes
are visible by 3/8ths of an inch!  In other words, as measured from
the inside of the drum ( as if one was measuring wheel back-space ) my
old ones are DEEPER by 3/8ths of an inch.  Otherwise, they APPEAR
absolutely identical.

What gives here ?  Does anyone know the answer to this dilemma ?   Someone
must have experienced this problem before.

I'd like to find either a nice used, turnable set or new ones if necessary.
That would be fine too. I sure would like to make that bounce go away for
good...

Any help or knowledge shared would be most appreciably accepted!

Thanks fellas,    - 9-17-02

Dirt Track Doug,in So-NeuYaWK

Mike Bishop:  say,.. If you don't, doya think mebbe Vern might have an
answer to this delimma for me ? could'ya ask him for me ?

thanks a bunch...

  BTW "we need to talk" :-)  -soon.    It's my turn!  :-)