RE: Motorcycle streamliners steering

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Motorcycle streamliners steering
From: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:14:00 -0400

While not (by any stretch of anyone's imagination)
knowledgeable about this, I seem to recall something along
the lines of;
(the following is pure conjecture - a smattering of small
experiences and snippets of almost forgotten conversations -
corrections for this poor rookie welcome!)

If the motorcycle is straight up and you tried to turn right,
centrifugal force of the turn would cause you to fall over to
the left (you would be thrown to the outside of the turn because
the Center of Gravity is up above the wheels). To keep this
from happening, the bike needs to be leaned over to the right
to counteract the centrifugal force.  (Now comes the tricky part)
In order to get the bike to lean to the right we (supposedly
and unconsciously) steer the bike to the left - causes us to
be thrown to the outside of the turn (to the right) - and then
steer back to the right to catch the lean and then balance it
against the now developing left centrifugal force as we
continue to turn right.

I've also heard this referred to as driving the wheels out
from under the bike, resulting in a lean, and then using the
steering for a sideways acceleration, catching up with the lean.

(Does this make anyone's brain besides mine hurt?)

To keep the bike going straight, you have to 'steer the wheels
back to underneath the bike'.

So if you are upright, but appear to be turning left (wheel bounce,
vibration, surface irregularities), and turn the steering to the
right, all you do is add centrifugal force that makes the
situation worse.  To correct, you would want to turn (turn is
probably not the right word - 'encourage with pressure' might be
closer) the steering to the left, get the wheels out to the left
side (which will start a right lean) and then turn right to catch
up to the lean, overtake it and stop turning when you get back
vertical, which of course you time to be when you are going back
down the centerline. (??) (turn left to go right?)

(Or if you are wandering left and want to get back to the
right - same sequence.)

Supposedly, at slow speeds (less than 20 or so MPH) the forces are
not big enough to be in play, so you just turn toward the way you
want to go.  (turn right to go right)

At real high speeds do aerodynamics take over with side pressures
that mean you don't need the lean to the inside to counteract
the centrifugal force to the outside? (turn right to go right?)

I can see how it would be real easy to sit in a motorcycle
streamliner and think 'car'.

Thanks,
Jim W.