Ford 9"?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Ford 9"?
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:36:36 -0700 (PDT)
I know I've read this a dozen times in old hot rod magazines, but the quick
reference index to my 250 pounds of old magazines leaves something to be
desired.
Externally, what is the quick and easy way to tell a Ford 9" from a Ford 8".
I've got a rear end from a 1969 Mustang but don't know for sure what it is.
The metal tag says "WCZ-VI      9AC" on the top line, and "2.79    8    930A"
on the bottom line.  I figure, if nobody has swapped stuff around, it must be a
2.79:1, but the 9AC on the top line, and the 8 on the bottom confuse me as to
whether it's a 8" or 9".
Dick J In East Texas