Hydrogen Peroxide (High Test Peroxide)

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hydrogen Peroxide (High Test Peroxide)
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:04:23 -0400
List

The Gillette Mach 3 Challenger motorcyle used three Hydrogen peroxide/HTPB
hybrid motors - in other words it used a solid fuel along with the Peroxide
oxidant.  One of the good things about peroxide (at 90% concentration) is
that it can be a monopropellant, as it does indeed break down over a silver
catalyst screen producing heat and a large volume of expanded gases.

This was the basic motor in almost all of the US drag strip rocket powered
vehicles as far as I can read up.  When it breaks down it produces oxygen
and water (which flashes to steam in the high temperatures).  But if the
catalyst pack fails you get raw peroxide onto the track - it ruined the
startline of our Santa Pod raceway in the UK too.

What I would find hard to achieve is its use in an automotive type engine.
Unless perhaps the silver screen is just below the injector of a diesel
type cycle motor.......hmmm........could be worth thinking about for the
Diesel (compression ignition) record..........without any ignition unless
you also add more fuel at the right time...........I see a multicylinder
grenade coming to life here!!

For safety sakes do not attempt this at home...

As for handling high concentration peroxide - try to avoid getting it on
the skin...it soon reacts as an oxidant and will in time create a fire on
your hands, fingers, feet, shoes etc.....  We carried gallons of water on
chase vehicles to protect anyone near peroxide (mainly for our rider
Richard).  I touched a contaminated restraining cable during a tie down
test and soon had white patches forming on the palm of my hand.  We had
buckets near by of water so no permanent damage.  Do not play with this
stuff even though it does look like water as its chemical formula is H2O2.

As Peroxide is a WWII rocket fuel Richard and the team known as team
F-A-R-I-Space (First Amateur Rocket Into Space) will be launching a hybrid
peroxide two stage rocket to space early next year.  My role has been to
write with Richard the Safety Documentation!!

Thought this might save folk from their enthusiasm....

By all means try out different fuel products but please stay safe..... it
would be nice to continue to hear from ALL of you.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.