El Mirage

To: "landspeed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: El Mirage
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:21:52 -0700
Well the day started out wind free and warm. The course was one of the worst
of the season with many ruts and soft spots. With around 70 entries it would
seem to be a meet that would get over at an early time. As conditions would
not allow for two runs. Top speed was the Leggitt & Lindsley at 288 mph on a
wheel spinning run and shut off about 300 ft. before the lights, top speed for
motor cycles was 202 mph on bike #824. Several engines blown and a few chute
failures added to the excitement.

About 10:15 I had to put the meet on hold due to 27 mph cross winds. We were
down for one hour and 50 minutes. We started running again at 1:05 and had to
watch the changing wind speed and direction. With the new Davis weather
station we felt secure allowing the vehicles to continue to run.  The station
gives us an update every 10 minutes as to the wind speed and directions. The
numbers and the graphic display makes it so much easier to make decissions
while running.

This is the best investment and addition to the timing systems in some time.
Having the weather data printed on the time slips give the racers & tuners
valuable information at the time of the run. A special thanks to Davis
Insturments and Henry Deaton for their support, and James Rice for the
computer interface.

After the meet we packed everything to leave for Bonneville next week end. We
are hoping for no more rain and a good safe meet. Thanks to Jon Amo for the
weather update on his web site. The SCTA office and web site will give updates
for the world finals as well.
Glen