I forget what goes first

To: "land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: I forget what goes first
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:26:44 -0700
HI all,
     I put the magneto in the roadster today. All went fine till I tried to
set the timing. Hooked up the buzzer and the darn thing buzzes continuously
even when the points are obviously open. What now! says me. I spent about an
hour and a half checking the points, the wires, the disconnect plug, looked
for loose chips among the components, I even took out the condenser to see
if it was shorted.
     Wait a minute isn't this deja vu all over again. I seem to remember
having been here once before. My high dollar, double throw down Don Zig buzz
box is actually an electronic device that is designed not to burn up the
generator by putting any appreciable voltage through it. It don't work right
if the 9 volt battery is low. I put a new battery in the timing buzzer and
voila everything works just fine.
     This is a humbling sport.
Jim in Palmdale