RE: Shop Lighting; again

To: "'Richard Kensicki'" <richk@spartajunction.com>,
Subject: RE: Shop Lighting; again
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:53:31 -0500
Rich;

I had the same problem with some of my Lithonia flourescent lioght fixtures.
One type hummed badly, the other type didn't.

The hum comes from a ballast transformer inside the fixture. A call to the
manufacturer helped some-- tighten any loose screws, make sure the panel
it's mounted to doesn't act like a sounding board, select the correct
ballast, etc. Of course, there is no info on which ones hum and which ones
don't except a little info that is buried deep within Lithonia's website.

They did say that after about 48 hours of continuous use, the asphalt
potting material would get warm enough to soften and flow around the ballast
transformer. This helps to deaden the hum from the transformer core.
Electronic ballasts are less prone to hum---- now I know. Anyway, it took
longer than 48 hours but the humming has quieted down quite a bit now and
they seem to be livable after all.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ