World Finals

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: World Finals
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:02:55 -0700
Adding to Jon Amo's report on Nolan White ... Nolan is responding to
requests to squeeze fingers, has feeling in all four extremities, they have
a chest tube in to try and inflate a collapsed lung, the result of broken
ribs.

He is in the University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City.  They are only
responding to queries about his condition to family members and involved
medical personnel.

The salt is surprisingly dry and hard. There is some standing water in ruts
and potholes but not around the course apparently.  Not as hard as in August
but very worth racing on.  The last word on Thursday evening was that they
would extend the race meet through Sunday.  I heard some unhappy people
complain about other plans and commitments that would be a big problem with
that change.  There were around ninety entries (with a pre-registration of
only about thirty five) so the board was feeling like they needed to provide
additional time for runs.  I'm assuming the FIA time and Nolan's crash which
delayed running until noon today are part of that problem as well.

Marty West went 261 in a classic class AF/CC for a record.  Bob Ragsdale
also got a record with his Studebaker.. Both this morning along with others

John Rains, Joe Law, The Rocket Science, Joliffe roadster (someone from the
Wilson/Waters car had protested that his hood was too short) was also in
impound, Salmen's $um Fun and The Hammond #77 lakester were all qualified
for return runs tomorrow morning.  Jeanne Pflum in the Hammond car had a
problem with the parachute after a 305 MPH qualifying run but I didn't hear
that the car was hurt.  Theirs was the last run so I'm not positive on that
problem.  As I left the salt, Rick Yacoucci was also leaving with the
streamliner.  Don't know if he was going home with his new record secure or
if he was just going into Wendover.

A beautiful new twin engined streamliner had a fire on its maiden run, Terry
Nish blew an engine and his crew spent the night installing another engine
in their garage in Salt Lake, Ed VanScoy lost a clutch after kissing the
record yesterday.  The Tom Bryant family is attempting to put a third son
into the two club,  B J Burkdoll went 302 in their liner with the new C
engine and there's lots of roadsters running. Wm. T. Smith was chatting with
lots of folks in the staging line this morning.  Kvach was pushing up to the
start when I saw him and Jon Amo was everywhere.  He'll be sending lots more
information I'm sure.

Wes

Wes