an eloquent tribute to Mr. White

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: an eloquent tribute to Mr. White
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:41:01 +0000
Hi all,  I thought you all might like to read this post I received from my
Auzzie friend Peter Carpenter about Land Speed Racer Nolan Whites life -and
death;  personally, I think this is about the nicest tribute from one man
to another that there could be.  Hope you do too

                               -Cheers,   Doug Anderson in So-New Yawk

------------oooo------------

To leave the world doing what he loves at an age when most are doing only
what they are told, is truly the measure of a great man.  Great men don't
always receive the accolades they deserve but then again, I don't believe
Nolan White was the kind of bloke who needed to be universally recognized
for his greatness.  For some, the respect of our peers is all we need, and
my one brief encounter with Nolan White suggests he fitted this category
like he invented it.

We all react to death in different ways, but I doubt that Nolan would want
the racing world to be driven into a frenzy of silly rule changes or
whatever, simply as a result of the end of his life.  As far as what caused
the accident and why, I think it'll always remain more conjecture than fact.
  We'll never know exactly what went wrong and maybe we shouldn't.  We
should seek out change because it's good for us and improves our chances of
survival, not simply because one of our heroes passed in disastrous
circumstances.

Fact is, what we do is dangerous and if we don't understand that or can't
cope with the consequences, then maybe we need to reconsider how we get our
kicks.  On the other hand, every time we buckle ourselves into the race car
we must forget about the possible consequences of any mistake or failure of
our equipment and focus 100% on the job at hand.  Fear of hitting the wall,
when racing a Sprint Car for example, is never going to create a champion.
Nolan White was a champion, he knew the risks and I doubt that he'd be
wanting to know all his mates are miserable and arguing about the rules,
just because he ended his life, doing something he loved so passionately.
Fact is, he could have been hit by a bus crossing the street, or it could
have been any one of the rest of us still here discussing what happened.
Nolan was also an expert on safety and he probably knew better than most
that there is always going to be that one time when even the best safety
equipment in the world was going to be of little help.

Yup, motor racing is dangerous, but if it wasn't how many of us would be
doing it?  I'm not even going to give it half a thought, next time I strap
myself into a race car.  And if I end my days like Nolan, I'm gunna be real
pissed if my friends get all upset and miserable about it, just as I think
Nolan White might be pissed at us if we do for him.

I'm sad I won't get to see Nolan run when next I visit Bonneville, but I
know he'll be there in spirit and I'll be lifting a tinnie to celebrate his
achievements and the achievements of all the other racers who have left us
prematurely.  Just thinking about it kinda gives me a good feeling.

Nolan, thanx for but one of my life's great memories and for being a
champion of our chosen sport.

Rest in peace old timer.    Carps - from Downunder

    October 24 2002