Maxton

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Maxton
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 04:49:22 -0600
    Well I just got home from the last meet this year at Maxton.. and it was
great... wonderful group of folks... they all are just fantasic!!!  the meet
was run perfectly by a group of volunteers that just keep things running
flawlessly...

   I have been teaching Tonya to drive the car and it has really brought
back the joy of playing with the car... she did alright this meet... I mean
for a Girl and all....  ( Okay Louise... quit the whinning )  Seriously...
she really has the ability to focus and because she doesn't come with any
pre concieved notions of how this is Supposed to be done she simply listens
and responds perfectly....

 Our Goal this weekend was for her to get her C Lic. ...We started out with
an easy pass...  in the 140 range...( 7mph faster then she's been )  and she
got it the next pass.... running 158... Her excitement over accomplishing
that goal was more fun the poking at Glen  ( only marginally )  then we
closed out Saturday with a 162 pass.  For Sunday we wanted to give her an
opportunity to correct a couple of things she didn't like with each of the
passes and she ran a 166mph pass out of the box.... Perfect deal really...
me doing the car and computor work and her doing the driving and fixing her
Nails....

    We had decided if things went well we were going to let a couple of
other folks drive the car and we did just that... went through all the
egress proceedures and track orientations... over again.... and got three
folks lined up to take a putt in the car....  Arly Roe is a buddy who has
been helping with me in the Lakester and he was up first.... everything went
great until he got into the traps and the red warning light came on... seems
he ran out of Oil Pressure.... this happens when the #1 and 2 rods come out
of the block.... has a habbit of taking the Oil pressure with it when they
wipe out the Cam galley.... so much for the Mule motor... something just let
go big time... don't know what yet... but the rev limiter was set on 6k so
it sure wasn't his fault... Just stuff that happens...

So.... all and all it was a great meet.... less one motor... ( everyone
smile) it's a race motor and these things all have a life span... this one's
happened to be Short...

Life is GOOD....

Keith