Re: Clearing the track

To: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, "Mike Meierle"
Subject: Re: Clearing the track
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:36:10 -0800
List
 I let it be known from the timing trailer who has failed to clear the
course. You would be supprised how many vets still stop on the course or
coast 3 miles at slower speeds before attempting the turn out. There have
been cases where a vehilcle 2 or 4 wheels just seem to take their time to
turn off. It's funny the 18000lb Phoenix can run 265 mph and clear the
coarse in 1 1/2 miles. Most of the very fast cars run get the chutes out and
turn off between the 7 & 8 mile markers. There are exceptions when they
don't. We don't want anyone to get into the soft area and we have a team
chasing them to help get them clear. Usually the starter lets me know if a
car may stay on the course due to conditions at the far end. We then run a
few slower long course cars while they clear.

At El Mirage we have very limited space and a few times a year some newer
drivers don't clear the course 600 ft to the return road. As I said I we let
everyone know on repeat violators. There are several vehicles that don't
have provisions to tow or push and use dollys, or lifting cradles to move
the vehicle. That is a change in the rule book for 2003. They have to be
equiped for the workers to push or tow them out of the way.

Glen