Re: Nolan, Jim, & Don's Passing

To: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nolan, Jim, & Don's Passing
From: Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:44:01 -0500
Hi to all,
thanks for writing so much about Nolan and Don lately.  I've been watching,
but not doing anything.  I knew Nolan, but not well, and his death has
caused me to revisit safety in my new car even though I won't even come any
where near the speeds he was going, I find myself further and totally messed
up with Don Vescos passing.  Don was a long time friend and I want to write
something, but really don't know what, so I'll just kind of ramble.
I spent the day yesterday just moping around the garage, not really doing
anything much, I have some finish welding to do on the bare chassis but just
don't feel like doing anything.  My thoughts were on all three of our
departed LSR icons, but especially Don.. ...He was a friend.  I spent many
hours over the past 15 years on the phone talking with him listening to his
sage advice. I learned a lot, and he answered even the stupidest questions.
He always had time to talk with me and he is largely responsible for my
pursuit of the lakester/liner.  Hell he even kept calling me telling me
about this car or that car that was available. Talk about influence.....and
it isn't even really hero worship.  While I have always admired his
accomplishments, he was just Don, so matter of fact about the things he did,
he was just one of the guys.  I didn't even know how accomplished he was on
two wheels for about the first 5 or 6 years.
I remember when I was thinking about doing a dry sump on the banger, he said
he had an old used pump that he would send to me.  He wouldn't let me pay
for it, but said we could straighten out later.  It was used, but not used
up and after a rebuild, performs just fine.  Never did send me an invoice.
He was after 500 MPH and I am certain he would have done it with the new
car.  I sure hope Rick can carry on.
You know, his death from the same disease I have recovered from, sort of
makes me feel a little guilty.  Why does God take one of us and not the
other....never gonna make sense of that.

I sure hope "whitey" will be looking over my shoulder when I start running
the new car.
I'M GONNA MISS YOU DON.

Now, can you imagine, Don, Nolan and Jim up in heaven sitting with Mickey
Thompson trying to teach everyone the virtues of going thru the 5 without
lifting, just "knowin" your going faster than anyone before you, and that
you got another record.
If something don't break mind you....

Or how exciting it gets and how pissed off you are when the back end starts
coming around at around 200!

God Bless

Rick Byrnes