Mixing 4130 and 1020

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Mixing 4130 and 1020
From: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:06:23 -0500
If I may take a moment to learn from others experience.

For a motorcycle streamliner frame.  (somewhere around the half
liter class.)

I'm thinking 1020 cold rolled mandrel drawn seamless tubing
in 0.095 or 0.125 wall. (1 1/4 inch O.D. as per rule book.)

I'd like to use some 4130, at least for the plate on the top
of the roll bar.  Maybe 4130 for the main roll hoops - not sure.
(Toughness seems to be more important than strength at what I expect
to be a low weight (4130 can be a bit brittle) but I'm open to
suggestion.  Should I stick with just 1020 or go total 4130?)

Any issues welding 4130 to 1020?  (I will stress relieve the weld.)

I'm thinking Oxweld 32, 0.035 wire, MIG welder, CO2/Argon mix (though
I'm considering straight CO2 for better heat and penetration.)

If you have an opinion or suggestion I'd really like to hear it!

(Working on this is hard.  Every time I sit down to work on it I
start thinking about Don and the others we've lost this year, and
I can't seem to keep concentration.  But then there's that message
coming in from somewhere saying, "Go ahead. Do It.")

Thanks,
Jim W.