Systems approach

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Systems approach
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 07:00:41 -0600
Dick's comment about setting the pinion angle and leaving it got me to
thinking about how most folks would do that the first time... ( hmmm or
maybe even how I did it which caused me to loose the DS in the first place )
Basically you accept that GM is smarter then you at a particular angle and
then you lower the car from the factory setting and Whammo... ya got
problems.... if you don't correct the pinion angle...

This whole line of thinking got me back to what Dave has been trying to say
over and over again.... and that is no one else races at Bonneville so
simply accepting the way one form of racing does something and believing
that it's going to work in all situations isn't very smart...

I've done this... several times... but I also have sat here and watched
several other folks answer questions one component at a time... because
that's what most of us can afford to do.... fix one thing at a time....

As I get ready to start on the Bugeye.... to build a car from the ground
up... The very first thing I'm doing is deciding what speeds I expect this
thing to accomplish and then what components I want on the car to make that
happen.... in other words doing it right the first time with no regard to
what's " On Hand " or currently avalible in my shop...  I don't have to
build this thing in a week.... so I'm not in a hurry...   BUT before I start
I've got to set reasonable goals both mechanically and financially...  What
I don't want is a cobbled up race car that I build with components that
weren't designed for the task at hand....

If we take a systems approach to car building.... like you would do with an
airplane.... No components would be installed that weren't more then capable
of the ultimate sustained speeds you were trying to attain.  An example of
this is putting a 9" Ford rear end in the car isn't very smart if the lowest
gears avalible won't allow you to attain the speeds you want to run without
an Overdrive.... you get into the same problem using a standard quick change
with the 4:11 ring and pinion....

Accepting that Winston Cup has the ultimate C motor isn't really correct
either... they are designed to run 500miles... and have been built to
function around the rules of that sanctioning body.... in other words they
have a carburator....and flat tappet cams which may not be the Best thing
avalible or the optimum design concept for the motor I want to use...  Same
goes for Drag racing.... Lightweight components just aren't as critical in
our sport...

I guess what Dave's been trying to say and beating into my head is thinking
of this project as a Total car system designed Up front to be capable of
what I want it to do as a whole....

Just thought I'd share ....

Keith