Re: Topic Ideas....rear suspension

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, Glenn Ridlen <gridlen@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Topic Ideas....rear suspension
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 06:48:39 -0800 (PST)
It seems that a four link with four equal links, or a leaf spring with front
and rear length equal would not result in an arc, but a striaght up and down
movement, which would preserve the original pinion setting. No?
Dick J
 Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net> wrote:The idea is that the suspension moves in an
arch.... thou ladder bars won't
let you maintain angles in the arch they are so much farther forward at the
front mounting point that the arch has less effect on pinion angles.... with
the four link the arch allows the Pinion angle to remain relatively
constant....

Let your pinion angle change from the result of suspension changes and bingo
.... the amount of flexing required of the Driveshaft to asorb the
vibrations of the u-joints is going to fatigue the metal pretty quick....(
this is due to unequal angles on opposite ends of the drive shaft...... ask
Bob Gribble how bad pinion angles work out.... if ya don't like the 170mph
example I gave..... he's had the same type Pinion angle set up problems ....
Thou he's using Nascar Truck arms which have an even Longer arch because of
the Long reach up to the center of the car.

Lets not forget that there are some other weird issues like Roll Steer and
bump steer associated with single wheel movements on a live rear axle...
which we solved for the most part with the Watts link rather then running a
Panhard rod....

Keith ( I'm totally clueless.. but I've had the bruises on my leg to prove
to me how important this Pinion set up and running angles are )