Bike riding in the snow

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, Dan <dwarner@electrorent.com>,
Subject: Bike riding in the snow
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:45:22 -0800 (PST)
 ardunbill@webtv.net wrote:... ... Whenever it warms up enough, I jump right on
my Ninja and grab a ride. None of that snowmobile suit stuff for me, I went
through
that phase, but I no longer enjoy pain. Bill

Back during the "original" Gulf War, I was at Eglin AFB in Florida, but in all
it's wisdom, the Air Force decided that my wife should be at Seymor Johnson AFB
in North Carolina.  I made the trip back and forth on my BMW 900 about every
other weekend. It was usually in the fifties and tolerable riding with just a
good set of leathers on.  My last trip up to visit her, on Sunday morning as I
pulled out for home, it began to snow flurry a little.  Then it snowed, then it
snowed harder.  By the time I got down into north Gerogia, it was like a
blizzard combined with an ice storm.  The whole front of my leathers caked with
frozen snow (new wind tunnel testing?), and I experienced the coldest cold I
ever felt in my life.  Outside of Savannah (this was the deep south ???) I
pulled into a gas station to get gas and coffee.  As I rolled up to the pump, I
couldn't put my feet down because the ice on the front of my legs was so thick
I couldn't crack it to straighten my legs out.  My gloves were frozen to the
handlebars and I couldn't get my hand out to break the fall as I toppled over
like a toy motorcycle.  I was still astraddle the bike in riding position (but
on my side) when three or four guys came running over, switched off my ignition
(motor was still running at about two grand), and lifted me back upright.  I
checked into the motel next door and sat it out for two days. I don't ride when
it looks like snow anymore.
Dick J