LAND SPEED RACER ON MONSTER GARAGE TV SHOW JANUARY 13th

To: kturk@ala.net, drmayf@teknett.com, speedtimer@charter.net,
Subject: LAND SPEED RACER ON MONSTER GARAGE TV SHOW JANUARY 13th
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 20:25:51 EST
       Hello All ...... I thought I would let you all know that my youngest
son
Darrell will be working with famed chopper builder Jesse James and the five
other crew members converting another vehicle into something a bit wilder
than it started life out as ....... and I think it is the first time Darrell
ever
thrashed on a FORD !!!  For those of you who do not know Darrell, he and
his older brother Doug and I built and ran the Black Radon Engineering
Firebird, in B/BFALT class at Speedweek 2000, and also in 2001. The car
had a best ever speed of 259.038 in 2000,exceeding the record on his
seventh pass ever, but spun at 198 on next day's required back up run,
at the three mile mark, eliminating his getting the record .
       Speedweek 2001 saw Darrell totally destroy the Merlin big block on
the very first run, at 203 mph, once again at the three mile mark, this time
with twice as much nitro in the fuel cell: 20 %.  The 8 - 71 blower and drive
and one Dart head were all that was salvaged from the blown big block engine .
    Darrell said he had an absolute ball working with Jesse and the guys there
at the Monster Garage in Long Beach, where they taped his episode for one
week last November. They all got their MAC tool chests & tools plus the
expense money and free motel stay with meals.  His episode, number 13 in
the series, will air on January 13th at 8PM Eastern .  Check on
DiscoveryChannel.com ---- then Monster Garage ---- then Vehicle Specs for
more details, and, oh yeaa, Darrell is on the right in the picture there .
     Darrell said the program might include some footage of our Black Radon
Eng. Fuel Altered at Bonneville ...... I hope it shows his best run of 2000,
as it is our favorite to watch of all our 2000 Speedweek coverage of our car
at its' Bonneville debut . Darrell told his Mom and I that Jesse said this
was
his favorite vehicle altering episode of the series so far, because the
finished
product was such fun to drive !!!  I am just amazed that Darrell was working
on a Ford engine, because growing up in my garage he, like Doug, only ever
worked on small block Chevs in all of our cars, and the first two big blocks
that powered the street / strip car that we started altering for Bonneville
in
1999.  ALL of my Ford engines were, and still are, flatheads, since 1954,
and the boys never stopped kidding me about my collection of
                               "boat anchors"!
       I hope those of you that watch this show enjoy it .......
            Bruce Ferguson, Dad of the Black Radon " Rascals " as Keith
Turk named them ...... he and Darrell had a lot of laughs together
on the Salt ........