What constitutes 'one engine' ?

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: What constitutes 'one engine' ?
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:35:37 -0500
Happy New Year All,

I know some kicked the topic I am raising now around last year, but I
cannot recall the outcome - anyone navigate me to the right spot in the
archive?

Rule II-2 Engines

I could use "Any internal combustion engine using the otto cycle" but
unless I have a streamliner I "may use (only) one engine at the same
time".....my word in brackets and I have left out Diesel cycle motors....

What does use mean ?  Does it mean install ? Save these two for another
day......

What is meant by 'one engine' ?.............Would the SCTA permit the
"MBP-1 V16" motor that happens to be made from two Keith Black V8 alloy
blocks welded together (therefore physically 'one'), two cranks welded
together, four separate cylinder heads, but one clutch on one flywheel and
one cooling system?

I may not build this V16, but the use of two making just 'one' could have
benefits.

What do you all think?

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England