Passings

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Passings
From: "Dan" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 07:05:11 -0800
With great sadness I must remark on the two recent passings of Bob Higbee and
Sam Samson, TOHRJ.

I held back comments about Nolan, Jim and Don because I could find the words
through my grief. All three were well known to me and respected by me for
their accomplishments.

To remark on Bob is most difficult. I've been doing this stuff since 1963 and
came to know Bob over the years as one of the, if not THE, most dedicated
person in LSR history. Bob would spend all day standing at the starting line
at Bonneville then after we all went to town he would drive the drag truck
until the wee hours to ensure we had something to race on the next day. Bob
never asked for recognition for this duty, it was something he saw needed to
be done and he did it. Bob never missed a meeting, BNI, SCTA Board or SCTA
Reps no matter how inconvenient the travel. When I was the SCTA president in
1984 Bob's consol provided me with direction in dealing with issues of the
office. We had just come from two years of no racing at Bonneville and I felt
we needed to return at all costs in order to save the sport from disappearing
completely. Bob, and others, advised me to stay the course and completely
supported me resulting in a few days of running. We can all see how far we
have come since those bleak days.

When I was fortunate enough to have the ride that got me into the El Mirage
200 MPH Club I sought out Bob to sign my timing slip, no one else would do! To
celebrate Bob's 50 years of service to the BNI and SCTA all the clubs placed
an honor on Bob as a show of appreciation. I am honored that it was my idea to
make Bob a
Life Member of the El Mirage 200 MPH Club. He was afterall, the one who pulled
the belts tight on everyone of us that were in the club up to that point in
time. I understand that he was very proud of that membership.

Advancing illness in recent years prevented Bob from doing what he loved best,
standing at the start line at Bonneville and making sure each racer was safely
belted and well informed of course conditions before sending them on their
way. If we remember Bob in future years, remember his words, "the throttle
works both ways", his manner of ensuring each of us could return to run
another day.

I didn't know Sam as well. The Original Hot Rod Junkie came to Bonneville with
spirit and enthusiasm which so many do. Sam was one of the guys I hear from
all the time, they always wanted to race at the salt but never could. Now the
family is grown, business established and the dream can be realized. I think
Sam is the guy who drove his yellow, chopped '34 coupe from the East coast
with about 75 of his closest friends to run the salt.
The spirit Sam brought with him is part of what makes this form of motorsports
the best there is.

I certainly hope we don't have to write many more of these things this year,
2002 was bad enough,

Dan Warner